This school is new and in flux, but here's our main courses right now.
At WGIS, "levels" are suggestions for how much experience you should have to take the class. Be your own judge.
- Level One: No experience required
- Level Two: You should have taken one or two classes from any long-form improv theater
- Level Three: You should have a year of experience performing or studying somewhere.
- Level Four: You should have more than a year performing or studying.
Again, these are suggestions. Take the class that excites you. If you're itching to learn The Harold, jump in there. Conversely, if you're sick of the Harold, try level 2 (Monoscene/ Pretty Flower). THAT SAID: If you've NEVER really done "game of the scene" style improv, take a level one first.
Each one of these is five two-hour sessions, plus a show (or sometimes two). 8 students per class, $220 each.
- Level One: Monologue Show
- This is an intro to “game of the scene” work. It's meant for new people and vets who want to strengthen game of the scene. We go over looking for the "unusual thing" and also being a good "voice of reason." We also practice pulling premises from a monologue. Class show: monologues and scenes.
- Level Two: Monoscene / Pretty Flower
- Depending on the teacher, it's either Monoscene or Pretty Flower (those are forms). The focus here is "point of view." What is YOUR character's deal? Class show: A Monoscene or Pretty Flower.
- Level Three: Harold
- Meant for students ready for a challenge. Second beats, third beats, group games and connections. Use all of your improv muscles: an organic start, big heightening moves, patterns, being inspired by reality and tying it all up. Class show: Harold.
- Level Four: Teacher's Choice
- Advanced class, the teacher picks the form. Should have taken at least one of the other levels OR have 3+ years long-form experience somewhere. Email Will if you're not sure. Class show: It depends.
Besides those core classes, we offer lots of stuff depending on who's teaching and what they want. See the front page for a list of classes available.